CMCA is pleased to announce the jurors and application guidelines for our upcoming 2023 Biennial exhibition. The CMCA Biennial
Artist submissions will be accepted via Submittable between June 1 and August 15, 2022.
2023 CMCA Biennial
Misa Jeffereis is Assistant Curator at the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis, where she is organizing an exhibition by Mona Chalabi in fall 2022. She curated Alia Farid: At the Time of the Ebb (2022) and the Great Rivers Biennial 2020, featuring Kahlil Robert Irving, Tim Portlock, and Rachel Youn; co-curated Shara Hughes: On Edge (2021); and has programmed the Street Views outdoor video projection series with exhibitions by Jonathas de Andrade, Oliver Laric, Jennifer West, and Marina Zurkow. Jeffereis holds a Masters in Art History from Hunter College in New York.
Sarah Montross is Senior Curator, deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum where she has worked since 2015. She has curated exhibitions including Jeffrey Gibson: INFINITE INDIGENOUS QUEER LOVE (2021) and Visionary New England (2020, MIT Press catalogue). She also manages the curation of the 30-acre sculpture park through organizing new sculptural commissions and rotating loans of large-scale sculptures, including installations by Letha Wilson, Wardell Milan, and Leeza Meksin. She earned her Ph.D. from the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University.
Exhibition Dates: January 28 – May 7, 2023
Who May Apply: Artists with a strong connection to Maine (i.e., full or part-time residents, exhibiting, creating artwork or studying in Maine, alumni of statewide artist residency programs), working in any medium. Collaborative groups are welcome to apply together. Artist cannot apply more than once. If you are applying as a collaborative, individual artist applications will not be accepted. Students currently enrolled in an undergraduate program are not eligible.
*Please note: as we receive many applications, preference will be given to artists who have not exhibited at CMCA within the past two years, including the 2020 Biennial.
How to Apply: Applications will be accepted online only through CMCA’s Submittable form.
Submission to the 2023 CMCA Biennial is free of charge, thanks to a grant from the Susanne Marcus Collins Foundation.
Applications will be accepted from June 1 – August 15. You will be prompted to create an account and:
• Complete the application. Please provide your contact information, including your mailing address, email, phone number and website. Please describe your Maine connection if your mailing address is outside Maine.
• Submit a current resume PDF. Please do not exceed 3 pages. Please title file: Lastname_resume.
• Submit a current artist statement PDF. Please do not exceed 150 words. Please title file: Lastname_statement
• Work in all mediums created within the past two years will be considered. For video, performance, sound or installation works, please consider the physical layout and structure of the CMCA galleries and note any technical requirements. Artists are responsible for tech equipment beyond what CMCA currently owns. Project proposals will be considered for new work. Please upload your proposal materials in one document in the project proposal section. A floor plan of CMCA for reference can be found here. For questions regarding this please contact Rachel Romanski, Curatorial Associate and Exhibition Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Upload up to 6 images, video and/or audio clips. Up to two of the images may be details. CMCA Artist Members* may submit an additional 4 images, either details or other work.
File formats accepted: jpg, pdf, mp3, mp4, mov. Images must be 1920 pixels on the longest side. Audio and video files must not exceed 10mb. Links to video are also accepted.
Please title files: number_last name_title_year of work. Works must be numbered in the order you would like them viewed. For numbers 1-9, please add a zero in front. For example: 01_Doe_Untitled_2022.jpg or 02_Doe_Untitled_detail_2022.jpg.
• Submit an image description list PDF, including title, date, medium, and dimensions in inches (height x width x depth) in numerical order corresponding with the uploaded images. You may also include a brief background description (50 words or less) related to the images and any special requirements.
Please include photo credit if applicable. Please title file: Lastname_imagelist
• Applicants will be notified of selections on or by September 15, 2022 by email.
For assistance, please contact Rachel Romanski at email@example.com
Works submitted for the Biennial must be available for the duration of the exhibition if selected. If submitting a proposal, representative work examples may be submitted if noted on the image description list.
Work must be exhibition ready. Artists are responsible for the delivery and pick up of their work to and from CMCA.
*To become an Artist Member, visit: https://cmcanow.org/support/membership/. Artist Members receive unlimited free admission for one year, listing on our online Artist Directory, discounts on workshops, lectures, and classes, and 10% discount on CMCA Gift Shop purchases. Please note: membership login on the CMCA website is separate from the submission application.
Exhibition curation: The 2023 CMCA Biennial will be curated by Executive Director and Chief Curator, Timothy Peterson in collaboration with Rachel Romanski, Curatorial Associate and Exhibitions Manager.
Header: 2020 Biennial, David Clough Photography