ArtCamp | Sōnarts
In collaboration with Midcoast Music Academy
Monday – Friday, August 9 – 13 + 16 – 20 | 9:00am – 2:00pm
Ages 13 – 18 | Limited to 10 participants
$600 Non-member household; $540 CMCA member household
Register at MCMA
Sōnarts: A Collaborative Camp for Musicians and Artists
This summer, MidCoast Music Academy (MCMA) and the Center for Maine Contemporary Art are combining to create a unique two-week summer camp experience. Student artists and musicians will collaborate to create an interactive, performance based art piece. This multimedia work will be in reference to the CMCA gallery installation, Will O’ the Wisp, by artists Joy Feasley and Paul Swenbeck. Students will work with teaching artists to create an interactive element, using visual and audio narratives. The final product will include a performance element and will be open to the public as is safely allowed.
Open equally to musicians and artists!
FMI: Education Coordinator Mia Bogyo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Luther is an improvising composer, pianist, and media artist working in acoustic and electronic environments. He has performed throughout the state of Maine with his modern jazz group TLQ (Tom Luther Quintet), an ambient music trio called Algorithm, and as a soloist. Luther is also a media artist, working with video, live installations, and interactive objects. In his work, Luther applies traditional composition, improvisation, generative, and interactive techniques, drawing freely from his experiences in numerous musical forms. The messages and stories are universal, and genre is simply a cultural idiom appropriate to a certain group at a certain time.
Annie Bailey is a multimedia visual artist born and raised in Tenants Harbor, Maine. Described as “hovering between abstraction and impressionistic realism,” her work celebrates the range of one’s creative potential, from control to chaos, through the lens of maritime culture. She earned her BFA at the Rhode Island School of Design in 2010.
Following Maine CDC Day Program guidelines:
- All attendees and staff are to wear face masks and coverings throughout the event unless stepping away from group to hydrate
- Participants from out of state are required to quarantine for 14 days prior to attendance.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available at heavily trafficked areas; encouraging hand sanitization during transitions
- Tables will be spaced with 6’ social distancing in place along with 2-3 participants per table
- To limit sharing; participants will receive their own art kits
Additional CMCA guidelines:
- Hand sanitization will be required upon check-in at camp
- Facemasks will be required and supplied if forgotten
- All tools and surfaces will be sanitized before session and throughout the program when necessary
- Sanitary wipes and cleaning supplies will be available for additional wiping if necessary
- Maintain social distancing of at least 3’ with face covering while instructing
Applies to all visitors regardless of vaccine status
Photography Policy: By registering for ArtCamp, I understand my child may be photographed by CMCA staff for general documentation and publicity. I also understand that no royalty, fee or other compensation shall become payable to me by reason of such use.