Arts @ Work
MENTORING THE NEXT GENERATION
Arts@Work is a free mentorship program connecting high school students across the Midcoast region* to arts leadership, career development, volunteer opportunities, and develop studio practice.
*For high school students unable to attend in-person, virtual and remote participation opportunities are available in tandem with our Look Inside program.
- Arts@Work has partnered with the Oceanside High School Art Club since 2017 to offer a free weekly Art Club. Resuming this year on Mondays 2:45 – 4:30pm starting October 18. Join these in-person workshops, field trips and partake in developing student art exhibitions. Interested OHS students please register through Stefani Gundel, OHS After School Program Site Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org and to learn about the bussing available from OHS and home after workshops.
- Weekly drop-in studio art, free-of-charge resume from 2:30 – 5:00pm in ArtLab. Get to know other artists while engaged in your own art making and learn about the many ways that contemporary artists create their work and maintain a studio practice. Arts@Work meets in-person on Friday afternoons through June 2022.
Third Friday Studio Demos | Workshop Series
Monthly Friday Workshops + Studio Demos for high school students and offered on the Third Fridays on the month in ArtLab from 2:30-5:00pm. FREE to all levels of experience! RSVP to email@example.com
- Large-Scale Painted Monotypes | November 19
Join Alexis to learn about the myriad of approaches to making painted monotype prints. This demo will focus on technique-building for this process by learning how to use a large photo reference to apply both reductive and additive processes with inks and oil paints. This is a very pliable and fun printmaking process that students can apply to their own subject matter to easily create sophisticated, one-of-a-kind prints for their portfolios or for fun!
- Illustrated Journals and Small Mixed Media | December 17
Come explore various ways to start or enliven your visual journaling habit! We’ll exchange ideas about how to create with a journal or sketchbook on a regular basis and how to INSPIRE this creative habit to support your own projects. This is a great workshop to attend ahead of the winter break and to launch your dreaming, scheming, and creative projects for the new year!
NOTE: Arts@Work is free and open to all students from other area high schools and are encouraged to join: register Community Arts Instructor Alexis Iammarino, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1:1 mentorship may include:
- Direct support tailored to individual interests & emphasizing personal growth in the arts
- Monthly professional development workshops
- Portfolio building demonstrations and guidance
- Portfolio reviews with local artists and educators
- Introduction to art writing and criticism
- Introduction to community art
- Resume building & cover letter writing
Leadership, Career Development and Volunteer Opportunities:
- Visits to local galleries and artist’s studios
- Peer-to-peer critical response methods
- Job shadowing with local teaching artists and/or art professionals
- Participation in Community, Public and Performance Art
- Exhibiting and promoting personal art making
FMI & to register: Alexis Iammarino, email@example.com
Rockland Partnerships: Arts@Work continues its partnership with Oceanside High School’s Art Club, an initiative of Oceanside’s Art Department and RSU13 Gifted and Talented program to offer COVID-safe in person instruction/mentorship and weekly remote check-in via zoom.
Since 2017, Arts@Work has partnered with the Oceanside High School Art Club to offer on-campus workshops, field trips, and develop student art exhibitions. The OHS Art Club is free-of-charge and meets Mondays after school. Interested OHS students are encouraged to register through Alexis Iammarino, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Student Artists and High School Art Programs Beyond Rockland?
Please inquire about hybrid/virtual workshops + programs developed with our Look Inside School program. We offer Virtual Tours of our galleries, portfolio reviews, and/or mentorship about where to get started to develop one!
Check back soon for updates!